Hey there! Today we will talk about something that is rather bittersweet, waxing. You must be wondering why we say it’s bittersweet right? Well, on one hand there is the smooth skin and the excitement of not having to shave or pluck for a couple of weeks. But on the other hand, we have the painful waxing process and the annoying breakouts and red dots after waxing that inevitably follow.
Now, what if we tell you that you don’t need to deal with the breakouts and red dots always, and there are waxing breakout remedies?In this blog, we will tell you all pre-waxing and post-waxing tips that’ll include ways to deal with waxing breakouts.
Why do breakouts happen after waxing?
To know the remedies and solutions, we need to address the problem first, so let’s answer this important question. Firstly, these breakouts and red dots are absolutely normal and hardly harmful, and you’re not alone if they happen to you. Our hair resides in hair follicles in the skin. During waxing, these hair are pulled out with force, causing stress on the skin. The body responds to this with inflammation of the site subjected to the stress, causing the breakouts and bumps.
Now remember that, in most cases these breakouts and bumps subside without any interference in a day or two. But you can always speed up the process or try to avoid it with the help of some useful and easy tips and tricks.
Some Waxing Tips To Avoid Breakouts and Red Dots After Waxing
Before we get into waxing breakout remedies, let’s talk about ways to prepare yourself for a waxing appointment in order to avoid post-waxing woes.
- Exfoliate well before your appointment : We can’t get enough of exfoliation and its benefits. It is necessary to avoid and remove buildup of dead skin cells, dirt, debris, and bacteria that clog your pores. When these pores are clogged, they cause uncomfortable ingrown hairs and acne breakouts. So, the night before a waxing appointment, gently exfoliate the area that's about to be waxed using a good scrub like this.
- Avoid tight clothing before and after your appointment : Your skin needs to breathe, so avoid tight and scratchy clothes around your waxing appointment. Your skin needs time to heal and breathable, airy clothes help with that.
- Avoid very physical activities and exercising for upto 48 hours after a wax : You don’t want to create friction or sweat a lot on waxed skin as it can lead to clogged pores with sweat from a heavy workout and possibly create irritation from friction mixed with your sweat.
- Consistency is key in waxing too : Being consistent with your wax appointments helps your skin get accustomed to them. Therefore, reducing the impact of waxing and preventing breakouts. So, getting waxed every 5-6 weeks is ideal.
Follow these as precautionary measures and you’ll see that they improve your waxing experience.
Simple waxing breakout remedies that you can try at home
Nobody enjoys breakouts and red dots after waxing, but sometimes you can’t avoid them. We totally get you, so we thought we'd help you with some easy-peasy remedies for those stubborn breakouts.
- Aloe Vera : This super ingredient is a miracle worker that soothes your skin like nothing else. Applying aloe vera gel directly to the waxed areas soothes the skin and helps with inflammation and itching. It also acts as a moisturizer and hydrates the skin. You can get it in the gel form anywhere or use it directly from the plant.
- Tea Tree Oil and Products : Tea tree oil is one of the best ways to treat bumps or red dots after waxing. Its antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties prevent infections and speeds up the skin’s natural healing process. Use a few drops of this essential oil by diluting it with a carrier oil like olive oil and applying to affected areas for quick healing. You can also try Naked Detox Green Tea Body Gel Lotion.
- Apple Cider Vinegar : Sounds strange to use vinegar as one the waxing breakout remedies but it’s true. Apple cider vinegar has astringent and antiseptic properties that balance the skin’s pH and also reduce inflammation, so win-win! To use, dilute apple cider vinegar with water in equal parts i.e 1:1 proportion and apply all over with a cotton ball or pad.
Apart from these remedies, make sure you use a good moisturiser like Naked & Raw Coffee Body Lotion to keep the waxed skin hydrated and moisturised. It helps with quick healing and keeps the bumps and breakouts at bay. Also, you can apply ice as it helps in closing the open pores and keep your waxed skin away from all kinds of chemicals and fragrances for sometime after the waxing.