If you are someone who has dry skin, we know what you are going through. We are sure you must be thinking that your skin is so thirsty that it consumes all your natural moisture. And that you’ve to keep reapplying some lotion. We totally understand how you dream of perfect skin, but not each one of us is lucky.
Our skin constantly keeps changing due to various factors. Sometimes it becomes very oily and sometimes intensely dry. Hence, following the same skincare regime may not seem to work when you start facing dryness in the skin.
Dry skin occurs when the skin lacks moisture and may appear flaky or cracked. Generally, this problem isn't severe and when paid attention to early signs, it can be easily treated at home. Are you paying attention enough?
If you are struggling with dry skin, this article will solve all your queries. We will be listing dry skin causes and symptoms and will also be listing some remedies that you can try at home.
What causes dry skin?
There are multiple factors that may be the cause of your drying skin:
- Weather: Weather plays a major role in changes in your body. When the weather is cold, the body gets dehydrated and results in dry skin. Apart from this, when the weather is humid, that also leads to dry skin.
- Harsh soaps: Your bathing soaps and cleansers may contain harsh chemicals that are put to remove dirt and oil from your skin. This leads to loss of moisture from the body and results in dry skin. Also if you do laundry by hand, detergents contain hard chemicals that make your skin dry.
- Hot showers: Hot showers are said to be relaxing, however when the water is extremely hot it makes your skin dry. It removes the natural moisture barrier from your skin and this leads to dryness in the skin.
- Exposure to heat: When exposed to heat sources like fireplaces, wood stoves or heaters, can make the environment humid and thus result in making your skin dry.
- Swimming pool: Chlorine is added to swimming pools to make the water clean, however, it takes away moisture from your skin and makes it dry.
- Skin conditions: Other than the above-mentioned causes, certain dermatological disorders like psoriasis or eczema can also lead to dryness in the skin.
Symptoms of skin dryness
You may be dealing with skin dryness if you have more than one below-mentioned symptoms:
- Excessive dryness in the skin may cause constant itching and may make your day-to-day life difficult
- Lack of moisture in the skin may cause roughness in the texture and it may become flaky and scales may also appear
- Lack of moisture may result in blood accumulation and cause redness
- The dryness leads to the shrinking of the skin. This leads to cracked skin. Sometimes the cracks may be deep and even bleed.
- For some people when roughness occurs, it may show fine lines and greyish color of the skin
- When the skin shrinks due to lack of moisture it leads to tightness in the skin and simple movements may cause pain
Dry skin treatment at home
Shower with warm water rather than hot
We know how relaxing steamy hot waters can be , But they should be avoided if you suffer from severe dry skin. We know! We know! We don’t like that fact ourselves. The reason behind this is that hot water can strip off the natural oils from your skin leaving it dry. These natural oils are vital to lock moisture in your skin and keep it soft. Removal of these oils results in dry and flaky skin.
You should always opt for warm water instead of hot to reap the benefits of relaxing showers while preventing dry skin. Also, ensure to keep the shower time-limited to five to ten minutes only for maximum results.
Soaps and cleansers take away natural moisture from your skin as they have high pH levels and contain hard chemicals to remove dirt and oil from your skin. The first step to dry skin treatment is to start using gentle cleansers and exfoliators that are soft on your skin and do not contain chemicals. Try our all-natural Cappuccino Coffee Body Wash, which is enriched with pure Arabica coffee, caffeine, almond milk and walnut granules.
While coffee and walnut gently cleanse and exfoliate the skin, caffeine tones and soothes the skin. Almond milk nourishes the skin and retains moisture. Our body washes are extremely mild on the skin and help in restoring balance and moisture for dry skin. Additionally, the natural coffee aroma will keep lingering on your body post-shower and will provide you with a luxury bathing experience.
Moisturize the body
Never skip on putting rich moisturizers post-shower on your skin regardless of your skin type. Moisturizers especially Body butters help in smoothing and moisturizing the skin post bathing. It helps in creating a barrier on your skin protecting it from external damages and helps in reducing cracks and flaky skin.
If you use body butters that are made using natural ingredients, it helps in providing vitamins and antioxidants to the skin. It is observed that people who regularly moisturize post-shower tend to have fewer wrinkles than people who do not moisturize their skin. Try our Naked and Rich Choco Body Butter that provides intense moisturization to dry skin and also aids in reducing stretch marks. It contains cocoa butter, caffeine, argan oil and caramel that helps in revitalizing dry skin.
Keep your skin hydrated
Wait a sec! Before you read ahead, go get a glass of water and continue reading this while you sip in some. There are multiple ways to keep your skin hydrated. High water intake is necessary, as it helps in flushing out toxins and improving the appearance of the skin. Using cold water to wash your face also aids in skin hydration. This is because firstly cold water doesn't dry out the skin like hot water, and secondly, our face skin is more sensitive as compared to the rest of the skin on the body. This means it needs more care and attention to prevent flaky skin.
As for topical treatments, add a good quality natural moisturizer for your face. Moisturizers penetrate deep into the skin and add a protective barrier to skin. They provide the lost hydration to the skin and improve the texture of the skin. Try our Naked and Raw Latte Coffee Moisturizer, which contains pure coffee extracts, shea butter, ceramide, and almond milk. It deeply nourishes the skin making it smooth and supple. Antioxidants present in coffee helps in damage repair and evenly tones the skin.
Wear gloves and use hand creams
If you have to immerse your hands in hard water or have to wash clothes or dishes, you should always wear rubber gloves to prevent them from damage to the skin. Apart from this, it is important to keep your hands well moisturized as they are exposed to hand washes and sanitizers as well.
Try using natural hand creams like our Coffee Hand Cream which contains pure arabica coffee, caffeine, white water lily, shea butter and sweet almond oil. The careful blend of ingredients helps in repairing damaged skin, toning it and providing intense hydration to the skin. Using hand creams regularly will improve the texture of your hands making them baby soft and shiny.
Include omega 3 and healthy fats in diet
Apart from skin care for dry skin, proper diet plays a vital role in skin health. Make sure to add omega 3 by consuming fatty fish, walnuts and flax seeds. You can also opt for fish oil capsules to meet these dietary requirements. Add in food items like avocados, sunflower seeds, broccoli, bell peppers, sweet potatoes and tomatoes in your diet to provide hydration from within.
Consult a dermatologist if it persists
If you do not observe positive changes in your skin even after trying all the above-mentioned tips and tricks, you must see a dermatologist. It might be signs of dermatological disorders like psoriasis or eczema and shouldn't be ignored.
Your skin is a mirror of what you put within and on it, so make sure you follow these tips and tricks which will help in nourishing and repairing your dry skin. Happy Moisturizing!